Monday, January 30, 2017

Wheel Some Tacos My Way...







Hello. I'm Mr. T and I love Tacos.
I live in Lake Charles, Louisiana and I am on a quest to find the best tacos in town.




This week I tried a Mexican Food Truck (actually a trailer pulled by a truck) on the far north end of town... It's usually parked at a Valero gas station on HWY 171 north of I-10.


The business is called
"El Tucan Express." They even have a toucan wearing a sombrero as their logo.


It took about 6 minutes from the time I ordered for me to get my food. Their specialty dishes are shown in large pictures on the outside of the trailer which makes it very easy when deciding what to order. Their full menu is posted near their order window.
The first thing you notice is the awesome smells coming from within the trailer. A Mexican guy greeted me from the window, ready to take my order.



I ordered two fajita chicken tacos on flour tortillas.
I kept it simple with only cilantro and sour cream added to them because I wanted to get a good taste of the meat. Sometimes too much toppings take away from the flavor of the seasoned chicken.


The tacos were medium sized and came individually wrapped in foil in a clamshell box along with two sauces. One sauce was red and the other was green. They were thick. I decided to try each of them on a separate taco.


The tacos were outstanding! The fajita chicken was tender and very tasty. Great seasoning. The first thing I noticed was that they put a lot of chicken on these tacos. They don't skimp. Chicken was falling out of both ends as I picked the taco up. The cilantro wasn't overpowering and complimented the taco nicely. They gave a good portion of sour cream too.


As for the two sauces, I loved both of them equally. They were delicious and had a little kick to them.


One thing I will say is that these tacos are pretty messy. Mainly because they are so generous with their portions. That's a good thing though. I would recommend eating them while parked or bring them home to eat. Don't try to eat them while driving. If you do, send pictures of the taco all over your shirt and lap.


Overall I rate the fajita chicken taco from El Tucan Express as OUTSTANDING! I'm not going to be giving numbered rating on a scale or anything like that because it's too hard for me to remember where it ranks from place to place without having them all out in front of me at once. So I will just rate my experience as poor, fair, good, great, outstanding, or fabulous. And, this rating today is only for the fajita chicken taco. It might be different for their beef or steak or shredded chicken tacos. I'll rate those separately if I decide to come back and get a different kind in the future.


If you give them a try let me know what you think about them. Also if you have a place in the Lake Charles Area that you think I should try... give me a shout.


Until next Tuesday my friends...


- Mr. T.






No comments:

Post a Comment